Clarinbridge GAA Club Colours – Marún agus Bán
Hurling has been played in Clarinbridge for hundreds of years and the game greatly uplifted the spirits of our community in times of hardship and suppression. Hurling and football teams in earlier times were not organised, as we know them today, and few teams had official jerseys. Games were very popular and there are records of a hurling match in the Hill Park, Clarinbridge on the 15 August 1885 between Labane and Clarinbridge, at which over 7,000 attended. The Clarinbridge team were stripped to their underwear and wore green and white striped caps, but the report of the game does not mention them having team jerseys.
The Clarinbridge GAA club was officially formed in 1889. In the early years of the 20 th century the Clarinbridge team wore a lilac colour jersey with a green hoop from shoulder to waist. Initially the club saw itself as promoting only hurling and Clarinbridge H.C was inscribed on the jerseys. These were knitted jerseys and the players of the time recalled them being ‘good at soaking up sweat’.
In 1933 the club decided to procure a new set of jerseys and choose the maroon colour, together with white togs and maroon socks. Since then thousands of players have worn this jersey with pride and respect and today young people are as anxious to wear the maroon and white as were their ancestors. The GAA has been a unifying force in our parish and our club’s values is captured in the old Irish adage ‘ar scáth a chéile a mhaireann na daoine’.
Clarinbridge GAA Crest – Suaitheantas an Chlub
The Clarinbridge GAA’s crest is the emblem of our club and reflects the traditions and values that we hold. It is clearly displayed on all club jerseys. Our crest has 3 images, the first being that of two hurleys and a sliothar, the second is that of a galleon ship and the third is that of the bridge in Clarinbridge village, which crosses the Clarin river.
The image of the hurleys and sliothar was chosen because hurling has been the predominant game of the club since its foundation, while Gaelic football and handball are the other two GAA games which the club has engaged in. The bridge in the village of Clarinbridge has long been seen as a symbol of the unity of the parish and its community. The final image of the galleon ship is taken from the Galway crest and this is appropriate given the service that Clarinbridge GAA members and followers have given to both the Galway hurling and Gaelic football teams, since the foundation of An Cumann Lúthchleas Gael (CLG).
The name of the club is written in Irish on the crest, with C.L.G. at the top and Droichead an Chláirín at the bottom of the crest. This highlights the club’s commitment to the GAA’s ideal of promoting the Irish language, as well as other aspects of Irish culture. Is páirt mhór d’ár n-oidhreacht é an Cumann Lúthchleas Gael.